April 21, 2009

42. The Sheik (1921)

My first Valentino film. I had some expectations on what he'd be like on screen, but he was quite different. Throughout the years I've heard about him being The Sex Symbol, but when I saw him I got the same feeling that I did when I saw Mr Fairbanks Sr. in The Thief of Bagdad : he came across as a brotherly dude. These two men and William Haines fall into the big brother category in my book. Which is good.
The film was a bit too schmaltzy for my liking, but then again it wasn't supposed to be anything dramatic or superbly heavy in the first place.



The legendary Rudolph Valentino, 26 - that cat owned the screen the second he appeared on it

Agnes Ayres (23) as Lady Diana Mayo, with a suitor. Her acting was quite dull, and I'm sorry to say something as nasty as that but that's the truth.




the scenes with a lot of horses were grand




oh, cheeky !




"charming" boy ?







I was damn impressed with Adolphe Menjou, 31. He was CHARMING.

Oh my.



Coolness prevails.


What a dress...




They certainly don't make them like that anymore.






















***
Directed by George Melford

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I just found your blog while searching for screencaps since I'm reading Hull's novel now - and thoroughly enjoying the heck out of it, btw! I love the bodice rippers from the 1970s and 80s, and this book is definitely the grandmother of them. So many similarities. The movie is actually pretty tamed down from it.

    ReplyDelete

speak now !