November 19, 2011

91. Tom Sawyer (1917)


Oooh yes, that's right.
More Jack Pickford ! 


 Playing the part of Aunt Polly; Edythe Chapman (54), who did a whole lot of over acting in this film, but I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. 
And Jackie boy on the right, he was 21 but looked kind of boyish so he fit the role.


 I have not read the book so I don't know the story, but for some reason Tom really loathes this guy


this is The Pickford Pout, I've seen Mary do it 351806 times 


WELL HELLO THERE, MR ROBERT GORDON! 
YOU ARE MY LATEST CRUSH-LOVE. 
Look at those arms! Oooooooooh boy..... 
*swoon swoon swoon*


he was around 22

 I guess I might be a bit odd in the sense that I never got the point in boys getting into physical fights. I spent most of my early school days breaking up fights between my hothead brother and his bullies. 



Tom wins 


melodia


Next day..
 Tom has to paint a fence but doesn't fell like it







Sure enough, soon all the dudes want to give it a go and even pay for it



time to show auntie

Mr Smug

next up we're introduced to the girl with one of the ugliest wigs I've EVER seen:

honestly, it looked like a rope stuck onto a granny wig

Mr Suave


little bo beep throws Tom a flower





Tom needs to get groomed for Church

but since he does such a lousy job, he needs help from his sister



that handsome devil Huck happens to be passing by Tom's house

He stops by to have a little chat... and exposes his nipple in the business. 
And YES I did rewind this scene a number of times while watching.

*fans self*

Tom has to go

Now outside the church, Sawyer is fixing up a Bible Prize contest but I'm not sure exactly what is going on. Should read the book, I know.

that boy in the middle reminds me of:


so possessions exchange hands and pretty soon Tom has a neat pile of Bible Prize coupons


beautiful

The new girl Becky's family gets invited to the front of the church 







Haha

Monday. On his way to school, Tom stops to talk with Huck for a bit





WHAT AN OUTRAGE



that'll suit him just fine cos he gets to sit with Becky









okay, can I do that with Huck?


Uh oh, Tom - TMI !


he tries to woo her over again by giving her :

Oh.

but Becky's not that easy, she throws it onto the floor 
Tom gets mad and storms off



while auntie visits the kitchen, the boys get into a scuffle which results in a broken sugar bowl






Tom goes over to Becky's place, fantasizing about her/her degree of devotion. He sits on her lawn like a creepster, while the girl is alseep. He plays dead.



just then Becky's maid throws some water out of the window, hitting Tom boy



he finds a worthy parter in crime from that Joe Harper guy


while walking past a field they see a barrel, from which smoke is arising


inside, they find my pin-up boy



the three pirates head off to a desert island, in secret


but as Huck steps away from the raft, it drifts away


back at home people have woken up and noticed that the boys are missing

meanwhile the lords do a bit of swimming



fishermen figure out that the drifting raft can only mean one thing - the boys have drowned



after dinner Huck blows a bit of smoke towards the other boys, making them curious about the pipe










not as much fun as it seemed





there goes Joe Harper, soon to be followed by Tom


Huck is initially amused 


but then decides to go check up on his fellow pirates






as the sun sets, Tom gets emotional and starts to think about the folks back home

he pens two messages - one to be delivered to his aunt


and the other to his friends


Tom's treasures

Sleeping Beauty, Huck

Sawyer takes off

Tom gets home and hides away, eavesdropping on his relatives




He waits until people go to sleep and then thinks things over. He decides not to leave the message after all

he returns to the island to tell the others about their upcoming "funeral"


they come up with a surprise plan






happy reunion time!

check out that lady grabbing a hold of Huck 

I would gladly trade places with her



HAHA


while others rejoice, my boy Huck wipes away all of those kisses

and takes off on his own



ps. 
as an added extra... it says on IMDB that Jack's wife Olive Thomas had a bit part in the film, as a member of the chorus. She should be one of these, then:
Maybe the girl on the left? 
Any ideas? 
The footage is quite grainy, sorry.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous28/11/11

    Are you still looking for 'Furcht' and 'Der Gang in die Nacht'?
    You can download them here:
    http://www.feature-film.org/?p=18281
    http://www.feature-film.org/?p=13266

    The site has many other silent films too.

    Great you're back!
    Jools

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jools, you are fantastic (as always)!

    Thank you, thank you SO much.
    That site is a gold mine.
    I am downloading Furcht as I type :D

    Also... I updated the "looking for" list today and turned it into a separate sub-page at the blog:
    http://jackpickfordisaluteyou.blogspot.com/p/wanted.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/12/11

    You're very welcome. ^^ I'm always happy to share links with other silent film fans. :D

    I haven't watched the films yet, but I hope the quality isn't too bad.

    I also happen to have Carlos Und Elisabeth and Die Brüder Schellenberg on DVD. I see if I can rip and upload them for you.

    Hope you're fine.
    Jools

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous19/12/12

    Hi there, I have been trawling through some film mags and journals of the 1910s and have come across a number of stills and pictures from Pickford's many lost films. I've now uploaded them to my blog, which is here which is the silentmovieblog dot wordpress dot com (sorry, it won't let me upload a url!

    The very first entry on that blog is also about Jack Pickford and his treatment in the press, and might also be of interest.

    ReplyDelete

speak now !